Montag, 20. April 2009

Tiomila




The first important competition of this year is history and for us it was an exciting event like every year. It was nice to see that all of us were put into key-positions of our teams. Warti had the honor to run the first leg for OK Tyr 1, I was running the "långa natten" also for OK Tyr 1 and Wolfi was fighting for every place for Göteborg Majorna 2 on the last leg.
Warti had a very stable run and did exactly what a startrunner was supposed to do. Don't miss, hold the pace. He exchanged on a good 107th position 9 minutes after the absolute best, who were simply too fast to follow. It was very nice to see Kerschi winning the first leg with a clever route choice to the second last control!
The next runners of OK Tyr did a very good job and so I went out into the 18km course 2min behind Halden 1. I pushed really hard on the first meters and to the first control and it was really nice to see about 20 headlamps looking at me and my fellow runners from a small slope. It was Halden and many other runners looking for the first control. We didn't miss the first control and so we became a really big group of runners of about 30-40 people. The speed in the forest felt quite ok and my legs felt good but after some time Erik Axelson decided to push harder and the speed on the roads increased a lot. I was checking the map most of time and it happened some times that people asked me to which control we were going which was quite amusing :P I really enjoyed the atmosphere in this group where everybody seemed to watch out for another. Every 5 minutes somebody crashed down a stone wall with a loud scream and everybody was waiting for the green areas where the speed would decrease a bit. After about 12 kilometers following Haldens attacks on the paths and roads my legs started to feel pretty tired. More and more people couldn't hold the pace and dropped of. I turned around and didn't see any headlamp light behind me anymore. In front of me the runners just had the part of the map with the control codes in the hand and were just focused to hold the pace. At kilometer 15 we crossed a green area and I got stuck in some thorn bushes and crashed. When I got up again and tried to run as fast as I could out of the green I saw that the chain of headlamps was about 40 meters infront of me. It was going down a small hill with good runnability and I pushed really hard to close the gap, but so were the runners at the end of this group. After the next green I didn't see where they were going and I thought: "congratulations you idiot, you lost them..." I looked at the map and planed my way to the next control. There was one big route choice left and I decided to follow the power line because I didn't trust my tired brain anymore and chose the "easy" alternative. I think I lost quite a lot of time there, because the ground was pretty rough to run on. At the finish I had lost about 6-7 minutes on the big group before me which was quite disappointing because it would have given my teammates a much better chance to follow some good teams. I didn't miss a lot on my course but the lack of strenght on the last 3 kilometers was really annoying and did cost my team quite much time.
On the following legs our team had some technical problems and so we didn't pick any more positions and finished at 59th position. We were better than last year when we finished in position 70 and I hope we will manage to run in the top 50 next year.
Wolfi did a good job on the last leg and could leave a big group of runners behind him finishing at 57th place. I think we can be satisfied with our performances although the last kilometers of my course are still hurting in most parts of my body...;)
Wolfis map Tobis map
results




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen